Lincoln KB Victoria Coupe
Year: 1933 Style: 2 Door Coupe
Color: Purple/Raspberry Engine: V12 Flathead (Fork & Blade)
Price: SOLD Chassis#: KB2137

'

LINCOLN KB VICTORIA COUPE

Year :       
1933                                                Style:              2 Door Coupe

Color:       
Purple/Raspberry                          Engine:          V12 Flathead, 448 CID
 
Price:       
$99,500                                           Chassis #:     KB2137

History:
   
The five-passenger Victoria Coupe, or Model 256 was built in-house at Lincoln. This KB was one of 18 built and is the only known surviving example. The coachwork is by Murray. Bettina and Harris Laskey purchased this rare KB in the early 1990s for their collection. Mr. Laskey immediately undertook a comprehensive restoration. Recognizing the beauty of the curved lines, he decided to accentuate these lines by the use of multi-toned paintwork. Laskey, known for his distinct and unique choice of colors, decided to express the true beauty of this car with dark purple fenders and roof, a raspberry body with gray-violet trim details and matching dark-purple pin striping. To complete the luxurious sporting car appearance that Lincoln introduced, Laskey chose an interior of gray-herringbone cloth for the passenger seating, with dark-gray leather piping. The headliner is light gray, as well as the backs of the split front seats. It has matching gray carpeting. The engine compartment is clean and detailed with many polished parts. To complete the look, Tripp lights and wheel hubcap covers have been added. The car was recently owned by the late Nevele Lovely, wife of the accomplished F-1 driver, Pete Lovely of Tacoma, WA. Nevele purchased the car in 2004 and drove it rarely.

Condition:    
    
Excellent, fully-restored condition throughout. This car has been only been driven and used sparingly since its restoration. It was shown at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1996, and has been honored at CCCA Meets and won many First Places in its Class at various concourses.

The new owner will have a perfect KB Lincoln, ideal for exhibit or competition at all club meets, tours and events, and will enjoy driving this true Classic Automobile.


Body Design:    Lincoln                                          Body Built by:     Murray
Chassis No:      KB2137                                        Engine No:    
Engine Type:    V12 Flathead (fork & blade)       Material:               Steel & Aluminum   
Size:                    433 CID (7.2 Liters)                     HP:                       150
               

Transmission:     3-speed Manual
Carburetion:        Single carb
Chassis:               Steel double-rail
Suspension:       Semi-elliptic leaf springs front and rear.
Steering:               Worm & gear
Brakes:                 Four-wheel drum
Wheels:                Steel with polished wheel covers
Drive:                    Left-hand
Total Built:          18, this is the only known surviving example

In late 1931 Lincoln announced that it would be introducing a V12 designated the KB, to
compete with the high standards set by Duesenberg, Cadillac, and Marmon. By 1933,
with the Depression of the 30's slowly strangling luxury car sales, these manufacturers
including Lincoln offered more flamboyant and powerful automobiles, in the hopes of
attracting new customers. At the direction of Edsel Ford, Lincoln chief engineer Frank
Johnson came up with one of the greatest powerplants of the classic era.

The KB's impressive 448ci (7.2 liter) engine developed a conservative 150bhp at
3,400rpm with a peak torque of 292lbs/ft at 1200rpm. The KB engine was the largest
displacement engine offered by the company until the mid-sixties. The KB was the last
Lincoln to use the traditional fork and blade connecting rod design. This method allowed
one rod to straddle its opposite rod at the crankshaft allowing for perfectly opposed
rather than staggered cylinders. It was the most expensively built engines.

There were other amenities found on this KB Lincoln that made it luxurious and easier
motoring. Freewheeling allowed the driver to coast when decelerating, a feature that
saved gas and engine effort. Power assisted brakes made for easy work of stopping.

The five passenger Victoria Coupe, or Model 256 was built in house at Lincoln. This KB
was one of 18 built and is the only know surviving example. The coachwork is by
Murray. The KB was offered in sixteen different body styles designed by the top
Coachbuilding firms of the period, including LeBaron, Willoughby, Judkins and of
course Dietrich. For many collectors, the KB represents the pinnacle of aesthetics and
mechanical achievements of the Lincoln Marque.

This KB had a selling price of $4,400 and weighing in at only 5,710 pounds. The sales
literature stated that "The rich conservativeness of Lincoln body design does not become
antiquated...because Lincoln does not heed the passing fancies in motorcar
appearance...Lincoln lines are as smart and richly distinctive with the passing years as
those of a colonial mansion, a fine piece of Sheffield silver or a graceful, well-built piece of drawing room furniture."

In line with many European bodies, the close coupled design with a sunken foot well and
gently raised roofline allowed spacious accommodation for the rear passengers. The
large windows are precursors to modern coupes, giving great visibility and a light and
airy feel to the interior.

The V-shaped radiator was slanted back and the new lower body sill line curved low
over the frame rails to match the graceful curves of the running boards. The car curves
on every plane, rather than the straight line of the era.

Bettina and Harris Laskey purchased this KB in the early 1990s for their Collection. Mr.
Laskey immediately undertook a comprehensive restoration. Recognizing the beauty of
the curved lines, he decided to accentuate these lines by the use of multi-toned
paintwork. Mr. Laskey, known for his distinct and unique choice of colours, decided to
express the true beauty of this car with dark purple fenders and roof, a raspberry body
with gray-violet trim details and matching dark-purple pinstriping. To complete the
luxurious sporting car appearance that Lincoln introduced, Harris Laskey chose an
interior of gray-herringbone cloth for the passenger seating, with dark-gray leather
piping. The headliner is light gray, as well as the backs of the split front seats. It has
matching gray carpeting.
The engine compartment is clean and detailed with many polished parts. To complete
the look, Tripp lights and wheel hubcap covers have been added.

This car has been only been driven and used sparingly since its restoration. It was
shown at Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1996, and has been honored at CCCA
Meets and won many First Places in its Class at various concourses.
Pictures:

Click a thumbnail below for a larger view.


For more information about this vehicle please email:dominic@dobsonmotorsport.com

 
Copyright 2007 Dobson Motor Sports

Warning: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/inventorydetail.php on line 231